A good exercise programme is beneficial to the human body and every adult should engage in body fitness/ body building activities. The risk of developing obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, diabetes mellitus and kidney disease is much higher in individuals who live a sedentary life style. Beside the enormous health benefits of exercise, a proper exercise programme keeps the body in shape, improves fitness, and improves alertness and cognitive functions of the individual.
It is worth mentioning that the right type of exercise programme is one that will benefit your body in its current state of health and fitness i.e. exercise programme should be individualized to meet a specific goal and target. Before commencing on any exercise programme, it is advisable that you consult your physician who will guide and counsel you on the appropriate exercise regime that will fit your current state of health.
- All first timers must choose exercise programme that they enjoy and can fit into their daily schedule. For corporate workers, timing is important as to prevent clash between your workout sessions and work. If you dislike sports and contacts games, exercises like do it yourself activities, cycling, jogging or energetic gardening may be suitable for you. If you enjoy swimming, then active swimming may be the best exercise for you. The important factor in choosing an exercise programme is to incorporate sports/ activities you enjoy doing and not engaging in activities that will be carried out grudgingly.
- During active body building or work out sessions, the body and the muscles are put into a lot of stress and hard work. It is generally recommended that exercise free days are incorporated into the programme to give time for the muscles to recover. Continuous strenuous body building causes serious muscle injury and damage and this can affect muscle growth. Have at least three exercise sessions every week at regular intervals. This gives a free day between each session.
- During workouts, each session should last for 30 minutes or longer but do not exceed your capacity. Choose a level of activity that will make you sweaty, increase your heart beat and make you aware of it, breathless but not to the point of dizziness or fainting
- Always begin with a warm up exercise which is needed to prepare the body for the workout session
- Do not put unnecessary strain on your muscles, ligament and joints to avoid injuries
- Do not attempt to get fit or develop muscles too rapidly. Start by exercising gentle to enable you body become aware of the change in activities for proper adaptation. If you are starting a new sport, beware or over competitiveness to prevent wearing the body out, prevents exhaustion and injuries
- Special charts have been designed which enables you monitor your progress. Chart yourself to good health and improved performance
The following group of people should consult their physician before commencing any strenuous activities:
- People are morbidly obese
- People over 60 years
- People over 40 years and who have been inactive (not engaging in any form of strenuous physical activity) since early adulthood
- Heavy smokers
- People with any of the following medical conditions: hypertension, previous history of heart attack, diabetes mellitus or kidney disease
Benefits of exercise to the body
- Reduces the risk of weight gain and obesity
- Reduces the incidence of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus and kidney disease
- Improves performance, stamina, endurance, mental concentration and alertness
- Helps to relieve anxiety and tension
- It improves physique
- Exercise improves self esteem
- It enables individuals get a good night sleep
- Ageing process has said to be prolonged with proper exercise
Image credit: (1)